- Stalingrad is back! Yeah, why not name your city after the one of the top three dictators of all time and a battle that killed a million people?
- Speaking of Stalingrad, that battle ended 70 years ago this weekend, and here is what FDR wrote to Stalin on that occasion.
- Not safe for work — unless your work is i09 — 1930s pulp. It’s okay, it’s the weekend.
- The Awl on Art Bell, the spooky, original host of Coast to Coast AM. The same blog with a guide to cryptoids from every American state.
- Also, Moynihan, when I see “shock” in a headline, I never, ever click. And yet, somehow I have read Drudge.
- “For 40 Years, This Russian Family Was Cut Off From All Human Contact, Unaware of World War II”
- Slate on nuclear monster movies.
- Radley Balko loves The Oxford American‘s annual music issue. Because Radley knows things even beyond saving dudes from death row.
- Stephen King talks about his new sequel to The Shining [via @andy_levy]
- Wil Wheaton on how he was a big, awkward tool during his Star Trek years. It’s cute as hell.
Like The Stag Blog