- I’ve had an impressively mediocre two weeks of travel, and really should have updated the blog more, but sickness, plus relatives, plus just bad travels didn’t really bring on the writing itch. Few highlights include: being stuck in a Kafaesque loop of being sent from House desk to Senate desk to House media gallery to Senate media gallery on Capitol Hill, plus having Capitol police having pick up one my socks; firing some satisfyingly huge guns in North Carolina and shopping at an endearingly sketchy military surplus store (cash only, for paranoia purposes); and of course screaming “SHUT UP ABOUT GLUTEN” at the Museum of Sex in New York City. But really, that was mostly it. Somehow the whole of my journeys was not what the parts promised to be.
- In other news about people The Stag Blog likes, Radley Balko is moving to Washington Post, which is both great for him, great for libertarianism, and rough for those of us who will now feel obligated to read WaPost.
- Kennedy and Matt Welch will be cohosting a new Fox Business show called The Independents, so for the ill-fitting suit jackets and the mismatched patterns alone (if you know me, you know this is high praise indeed), it will be worth a watch. Here is a snotty, lazy Gawker summation of things. I assume the comments are horrifying beyond words, so don’t bother with that.
- In humbler news, brother Joe has been told to get a webcam, so that The Stag Blog’s new Google+ show can finally get started. It’s called Politics for People Who Hate Politics, and if you want to be a guest, annoying me about it is encouraged. More details will come. It should be fun.
- Hey, my latest VICE piece is about how Homeland Security are being assholes to Canadians with past mental health problems.
- What’s happening in the world? Hmmm.
- Well, stop pretending the drug war is over, because this guy’s ruined life begs to differ.
- NYPD mistakes Brooklyn man’s breath mints for ecstasy.
- Is this is true, I can’t even began to process how horrifying it is. Read with caution: “I Am a False Rape Allegation Statistic”
- Here is a decent Gawker response to the is that woman who wrote the not-very-good-sorry poverty essay actually poor or not kerfuffle.
- 1920s prosthetic limbs
- I want to live in J.D. Tuccille’s society. He makes anarchy sound fun, God save his crazy bootlegging family.
- This Orange County reporter is covering/livetweeting the trial of the cops who killed Kelly Thomas.
- Prohibition slang.
- Currently reading this ancient Vanity Fair piece on the mysterious, sordid death of Hitler’s way too beloved half-niece.
Pam sums up the feeling of not having a reaction ready for the death of notable person:
Well I was about to tweet Ke$ha lyrics but then Nelson Mandela just died.
— Pamela J. Stubbart (@amelapay) December 5, 2013
No, don’t ask questions.